I don't want Bonnie to be one of those kids who thinks that money grows on trees and that she can have whatever she wants whenever she wants it. I think those principles need to be taught early. We already live in what I call an 'instant society' with everything being so accessible. We have instant food, instant text messaging, ATMs, etc. etc. The thing that gets me is that when you make a trip to a public restroom, a machine flushes the toilet for you, dispenses instant soap, turns the water on for you, and gives you a paper towel at the wave of a hand. It seems like we don't have to do anything anymore for ourselves!!! It's all wonderfully convenient but I think we're raising a lazy, impatient society!
Anyways, I think Bonnie's ready to have some responsibilities around the house. Last year, when she helped me do something around the house I gave her a penny, dime, quarter.....whatever coin I happened to find first. Sometimes she made a lot for the chore she did. Other times, she just got a penny but it didn't matter to her. She doesn't know the value of the coins and she just wanted to get one to put in her piggy bank. Poor thing!
I want Bonnie to earn a little allowance and learn that we give part of it to God. I usually give her all of the change from my wallet to put in the plate but I think she's old enough to teach her that we give part of our money to God each week. She puts her "money to help the people" in the plate and is so glad to do so. Yesterday, I only had a dime in my wallet and she took it and held onto it until that plate came around!!! Well, actually, she dropped it in the floor at one point and had it almost in her mouth at another point but it made it into the plate when it came around! :)
I just wonder what I could put on her job chart. I don't know if I'm gonna give her daily jobs or weekly jobs or what. Anybody got any ideas on some good jobs for an almost 3 year old? Here's what I've come up with so far:
1. Help me throw the washed clothes into the dryer.
2. Take her clothes and put them away in her drawers (She started doing this on her own)
3. Wash off the table after dinner with a washcloth.
4. Clean up her playroom.
5. Set the table.
6. Pull weeds (just kidding--although she'd love it)
Anybody got any ideas that they've used with their kids or any other advice on the matter?
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I think that you should teach her how to cook and then let her drive over to my house and deliver the goods! :)
we give julianna extra allowance when she has a good week of helping out with max. like go get wipes, hold his hand, etc. it helped her be excited about helping with him after she the newness wore off.
i think they can do ALOT more than we think. Julianna's chore list is pretty long; but she manages to do it without any trouble. another one she liked (but hates now) is help put groceries away when i get home from the grocery store.
good luck. i agree with the instant society - something has to change.
Jake always has to pick up all of his toys at night before we go to bed and when I do laundry he has to carry his clothes to his room and help me put them up. He LOVES it he always says mommy I want to help. Anyway my dad also gets him to gather eggs and feed the chickens and I think that is teaching him responsibility. The older he gets the more he will have to do. I don't want him to be a spoiled brat and be difficult to live with. Just bought him a piggy bank and he is going to put all of his allowance and when it gets full he knows he can go get a toy.But I think Julie has a good idea with the cooking! *haha*
We are hoping to teach Callan the same kinds of things but we are going to call it a commission. If she doesn't do the work, she won't get her commission. Who knows what we'll have her do, but your list looks good so far! Right now I wish she could help me make her food. It is getting old!
pulling weeds is really a good one. JT does that for me. Luci has these chores, all on different days: wiping off the cabinets on the bottom (mom does the top cabinets), dusting the chairs in the dining room, putting her toys away, sweeping outside (JT does the back porch and deck, Bryan does the front walk and porch, I do the garage and Luci does whatever she wants with the broom) and one day her job is "spreading cheer."
Tag! You're it! It's an easy one. Directions are here: http://add-one-chinese-sister.blogspot.com/2008/11/tagged.html
Post a Comment