What do you tell yourself when people around you continually say things to you that bring you down---whether if it's about your weight, looks, how you cook, etc.? Do you let those people make you believe whatever it is they think about you? Do you define yourself by what others think of you?
I am having a hard time letting things go. I am extremely sensitive and when somebody says something to me that hurts me I just dwell on it. I don't stand up for myself out of fear of confrontation. John says when people bite, I need to bite back. I don't agree that anything positive can come from that. It only makes my heart hard.
I am TOO worried about what others think about me or what I THINK others are thinking about me. I mean really, who am I that others just sit around talking about me as if I'm so important. Really, Scarlett. Get over yourself! I am sick of having such negative thinking!
Does anybody else struggle with this? Is this just a woman thing? I don't know any guys that do this to themselves!
Gena says, "Keep it light." I have GOT to learn how to do that!
Saturday, December 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Well, I've been told that I'm a girl at heart - whatever.
To be honest, it just plain sucks.
The hardest thing is to remember - we're not supposed to overcome the negative stuff with positive stuff (well, that's my opinion, anyway). When we stop getting our affirmations from others is when we will truly break this problem of constantly being worried about what other people think. There is only One who can truly give us affirmation and tell us who we really are. Only when we are trusting in Him to do that, will we actually learn to not obsess about what others think about us.
And if you figure out how to do that, let me know.
I think Jesus may have had a point here. This kind [of demon] goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
To add something - my first response is to want to stomp all over people like that.
But I think you're right. That's not the way of Jesus.
oh sweet scarlett...
you know we've talked about this. basically the only wisdom i've gained after being stomped on is that you don't feel any better even when you "bite back" - you feel just as lousy. but when you reign it in, God is given the glory and one day you will bask in that. Unfortunately we live in a world where people think it's ok to express their "thoughts and concerns" in regards to others. however they do it - couched in love or criticism, it always brings pain. so i'm trying to remember how much it stings, and keep my fangs in. :) also, "they" tend to say it to people who will allow them to. so don't allow them to say it anymore. say no to listening!
i'm sorry you got hurt. one day we will be free from ALL pain - and praise God when that day comes!
love ya! hang in there!
Scarlett- i am always encouraged by you. you are who you are. there are no hidden agendas or no secrets about who you are. that is completely attractive in a friendship.
you seem to know who you are and are confident in what God has made you to be.
people will intentionally or unintentionally say something that stings, as krista said, out of love or not- doesn't matter really. if we are walking with Him we can decifer who was being God's agent and who isn't. that is where that whole confidence in Him comes in. Trust He will speak to you and bring conviction when it's necessary. only then do you need to get busy. ONLY THEN. if you aren't convicted by God thru what others say then go on your merry way and pray for that insecure person who thinks they have it all figured out because they need help.
i love you! you really are amazing. keep looking Up!
i was told lately to never give any of my power away, to extend grace to people or circumstances that cause me to think different of myself, get angry, doubt, etc. that has really helped. we only hurt ourselves. plus, you aren't defined by what people say about you. you're definted, we're defined by our Father. Praise Him for that. you're awesome, talented, selfless, and a great friend. remember those things! love ya,
p.s. did you get my text?? tests were normal!!!!!!
I'm one of those, Scarlett. Not as much worried about what people think of me but re-hashing times I was "wronged." I truly had to tell Satan to stop it. Out loud. He SO knows what gets us down and weary and he'll hit us there every time. When I realized that's what was happening, I had to tell him to stop and just talk to God instead. It works. I still struggle with it at times but when I find myself dwelling on something and re-hashing it and dialoging and cataloging in my head, I just have to tell him to leave me alone. It works. Amazing, huh? Indescribable.
Post a Comment