Thursday, June 28, 2007

Is Alli really your "ally"?



I told you there'd be something soon that got me rambling.......here it is:

There's a new diet pill (or I should say "weight loss aid") out there now called Alli. It's called that because it's supposed to be your "ally" to weight loss. It is the only diet pill over the counter that is FDA approved, which makes it sound awesome! It is the half dosage of the same drug as prescription Xenical which is used for weight loss and to reduce cholesterol. Alli is selling out in drugstores everywhere and there's even a cookbook to help you along with your diet. Alli actually prevents one quarter of the fat you eat from being absorbed. You just pass the extra fat and it doesn't go to your body.

Sounds great, huh? Well, it causes side effects that half of people taking Alli will experience. These include: gas with oily discharge, inability to control bowel movements, and oily or fatty stools. Sounds fun! The more fat you have in your diet, the more these treatment side effects will occur. A lady at the drugstore said to wear pantyliners when using Alli because of leakage that can occur. Also, it's about $50 for a month's supply. The company recommends carrying an extra pair of pants with you until you're used to the drug. You can't take Alli if you have had an organ transplant because it interferes with the medicine taken to prevent organ rejection. Alli blocks absorption of some vitamins, so you need to take a supplement if you are taking it.

One study of Alli showed that dieters who took the drug along with diet and exercise over a year lost about three pounds more than people who only dieted and exercised. NOT WORTH IT to me! :)

Read up on Alli before you decide to try it. I'm not saying it's a bad drug, just a little scary to think you might be having greasy farts throughout the day when taking it! You're supposed to only take Alli if you plan to follow a reduced fat and calorie diet and if you plan to exercise. You're suppposed to only eat 15 grams of fat per meal. If you eat more than that you're in for, well, let's just say some messy reprocussions!

3 comments:

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

You are HILARIOUS. Gross gross gross. I wont be signing up for that one after baby no. 2 is born...the only thing worse than wetting yourself in public is pooping yourself. gross.

Gina said...

Oh my. That is hysterical. I think that Alli would work great for me - I'd be way too terrified to eat at ALL. That would get me skinny really fast! I'm sticking to a tried and true method: drink lots of water, skip processed foods & desserts, and sweat it off with some good old-fashioned exercise!

Meredith said...

Wow...this is a yummy post! HA! Since I tagged you with the "50 things about me" thing, you know have something else to blog about! Can't wait to read your 50!!!