Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Momma said there'd be days like this.......
Well, my momma never told me that, but when I'd disrespect her or tell her things I wish she'd done differently, she'd say, "Your time's a comin'..." I guess she was right. I need some help and prayers. Bonnie has been refusing to take a nap for the last 3 weeks or so. I'm exhausted and she is too. She's too young to give up naps. She's not getting enough hours of sleep total. She's not eating hardly anything and I'm surprised she's still walking around with any energy. I feel like I've tried everything. She NEEDS a nap still b/c around 5:00 she's horrible if she hasn't had one. I'm at my wits end b/c I need a nap or a rest time too or I'm gonna fall over. It just makes me so nervous that she's not resting or eating well. Last Wednesday, I told her if she didn't take a nap, she wouldn't get to go to church b/c I knew she'd be ill as a hornet, but that didn't seem to bother her at all. She stayed home with John and told me bye with a little smile on her face. She loves her class and I thought it would devestate her if she didn't get to go, but I guess I was wrong. A few minutes ago, I went in there and she was rolling her clock around on the nightstand and when she looked up at me and realized she'd been caught, she said, "The clock says it's time to get up from nap!" I told her she hadn't even taken a nap yet. John thought maybe her room was too bright, so I'm trying to figure out how to darken her room. We've got plantation shutters and there's no room for darkening shades behind those, so I guess I'm just gonna have to redneck it and pin a couple of old comforters over her windows at naptime. Those would look great with her white and pink shabby chic decor! I know this will all pass but the baby's gonna be here in 9 weeks and I want her to have a good schedule so she'll function at her best. And, I'm nesting so badly that I'm not taking time to rest b/c there's so much to get done! Should I wake her up at 5:30 in the morning so she'll be exhausted by naptime--and make me grumpy in the morning b/c I've had to get up that early? Or should I just make her run laps in the front yard before naptime? Any ideas or advice?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Well here is what I do with my kids.....
JK! I have no idea. That is for all you mammas to answer! :)
Ella went through a stage like that and she is totally off naps now, with very minimal fits, but both of mine are in bed at 8 and she sleeps straight through the night. As far as you resting.....Sounds like you need a night away. Hang in there and I will pray peace for you.....love you
it's really not about resting - INMO - it's more about a battle of wills. she is probably sensing all the impending changes, and dealing with the last 6 months of changes, by controlling what she can control - namely eating and sleeping. not that this helps you, but she will eat when she gets hungry enough and she will sleep when she's tired enough. but as long as she thinks there's a battle to be won, she won't give in. when julianna fought naps, we made her "rest". she had to be laying down, and we set a timer. after a few days of fighting it, she would fall asleep. let bonnie set the timer maybe? and fall back on the sticker chart as reward for naps (or whatever positive reward works with bonnie).
who knows why kids do what they do - sleep is not a good issue at our house either. do they make a family ambien pill? jk :)
hang in there - it will pass too. and while i'm sure there is "lots" to do, remember, a pretty house is not worth a tired, unhealthy mommy.
let's make us a definite plan to hang - 9 weeks is CRAZY!!
Sorry I am no help. Though Krista seems to have some great suggestions. So far, Mollie sleeps well. However, I am sure my day is coming. Is there anyone who would take her for a day or two, so you can rest?
Post a Comment