Friday, September 14, 2007

Gotta Have that EGD test done

I had another sick spell with bad abdominal pain again last night and was up all night. The medicine is not working as we had hoped it would. I called my regular medical doctor and talked to his nurse and she said they could get me in with a gastrointestinal specialist in 3 weeks and then I could schedule that EGD test with that doctor. I was about to cry on the phone and I told her I could not wait that long. I told her something had to be done now because something is going on with my stomach and it could not wait. So, I had to get her to refer me back to the surgeon that took my gallbladder out 4 years ago b/c he could possibly get the test done quicker. I had to make a few phone calls this morning while exhausted from being up all night just to try to find a doctor who could get some tests run immediately. I have never in my life been so frustrated with the health care system. We're paying $900 every 2 months for health insurance and my doctor won't order the test because a gastro-whatever doctor has to read it so he sends you to the gastro-whatever doctor first. But then you have to wait almost a month before you get any help? I never realized how things worked until today. You have to go higher on the totem pole to get anything done around here. I really think I may change medical doctors even though I have loved mine up until now. I think after the third episode my doctor would realize the seriousness of how much pain I've been in. I just want to feel taken care of by my doctor. John said, "What? Do they just want to see well people?" Anyway, John took me to the surgeon and he said I needed to have the EGD test done soon and we scheduled it for this Monday morning. I'm dreading it but I know it's the first step we need to take to find out what's going on. Dr. Bailey said they'd give me some medicine that would make me not even care if they chopped my head off so that's good. I'm just freaked out knowing that they'll put a tube down my throat while I'm still awake. Please pray that they'll find out what's going on and that it won't be anything serious. The doctor said I could have some bacteria in there and that can be treated with antibiotics. Let's all pray for the best...Thanks

4 comments:

Will and Melodie said...

You've had a rough couple of weeks. I hope they are able to figure it out and of course we will pray for the best!

Bevin said...

Definitely praying for you Scarlett. I know you've got a lot going on. Hope you feel better! Keep us posted!

Julie Young said...

Keep us updated and let us know how it turns out. Jud has had that done. He said that it is not that bad. Good luck!

AJ & Nina said...

Hi, I just found your blog using Google and I've been having the same problems. I've had to wait 6 months for an EGD after being told my problems were anything from a kidney infection to food poisoning.
I just had the EGD done yesterday, then they told my husband they "might" know what the problem is, but wouldn't tell us until we scheduled another appointment with the surgeon 2 weeks from now. I'll sure be praying for you because I feel your pain, it really seems like doctors don't care about anyone but themselves.

Grace and peace,
Andrea C.