
Last night, we had some friends over for dinner and playtime with the kids. Right before they all left, I looked at Bonnie in the playroom and her face was getting red scratchy spots on it and she was itching her face. Her ear was red and she was developing a few hives on her face. It was really strange. Well, she started crying and scratching all over and the hives just got worse and worse. Her whole face looked like this side view of the picture and she was getting them on her back, legs, and one of her wrists too. She was starting to freak out a little probably because she didn't know why she was feeling this way and I was trying not to panick because part of me thought she'd have trouble breathing any second. (Maybe over reactive, I know, but this has never happened before)
I looked on the internet for the dosage of Benedryl for her according to her weight because the bottle of Children's Benedryl only gives dosing for ages 6-12 and up. Great! That is very convenient, Mr. Benedryl creator!
Anyways, I gave her a teaspoon and called John's aunt who is a nurse to see if there was anything else I should do. As I was talking to her I found some Benedryl cream that I thought I'd put on her face. I promise you as soon as I put it all on her face, Aunt Amanda said, "If you had any Benedryl cream, you wouldn't want to put that on her too on top of the Benedryl because it has the antihistamine in it too and it will absorb in her skin and it will be like double dosing her."
GREAT! I told her I already did it, so it was too late. It didn't hurt her though, and the hives started going away in about 10 minutes. I was really impressed with how quickly it began working.
We just had no idea what could've caused this. She didn't eat ANY dinner last night so it couldn't have been anything she ate and I hadn't changed soaps or detergents or anything like that.
We slept in this morning because she slept late and was groggy from the Benedryl and Ava was also up crying in the night so we just needed to stay in today. We watched Prince of Egypt and had a big lesson on Moses and Pharoah and it was just a nice mommy/daughter time with one another learning about this part of Exodus. I hate missing church services, but it happens, so we had a 2 hour lesson on the Old Testment. Bonnie really learned a lot!
We think we (or John) discovered the allergy culprit this morning:

John found one in the playroom!!! I guess my sweet little mischievious Ava got into the cabinet and got one and brought it in here. We asked Bonnie about it and she said she licked it and rubbed it on her face and it made her get hives. I'm not sure if she made that up or not but it seems legit. I don't know what else would've caused this to happen. She's okay now, thank goodness, but it scared me a bit at the time!

2 comments:
Wow, I have spent all night reading your many blogs. I feel so totally caught up with your life now. Awesome, I need to do that. Love all the pics and the stories and the memories! I know you feel better having written all of that down!
WOW!!! I didn't know dishwashing detergent could do that, but I guess it's possible. I'm sure glad they didn't put it in their mouths!
Well, I'm all caught up I guess...thanks for posting. I'm glad I'm more in tune with what's been going on with you. Love you!
Post a Comment